Thelma’s main interests are contemporary art and psychology. She is a painter, printmaker and mixed media artist residing in Pretoria. Thelma has exhibited both Nationally and Internationally and her work has been widely published in books and magazines.
She has been a student for most of her life. She has a Ba Honours degree in Physical Education from the University of Pretoria and a Ba Honours in Psychology. Her artistic endeavors only arose later in life when she decided to study art at the age of 34 in 2003. She subsequently completed a B.Tech degree in Fine Arts at Tshwane University of Technology in 2007. Wishing to expand her skills and practice she decided to pursue a Master of Arts degree in Fine arts in 2013. She completed the degree in 2016 at the University of Pretoria. Since graduating, she has participated in eight solo exhibitions and numerous group exhibitions throughout South Africa. Her work has featured in prestigious competitions such as Sasol New Signatures, Thami Mnyele Fine Arts awards and the Sanlam Vuleka Arts competition.
She has a keen interest in the humanities, academics and artistic endeavors related to human dynamics. In 2015 and 2017 she completed two, three week artist residencies in Berlin, and in Mexico in 2018 led by the international school, Transart Institute and Plymouth University in the UK for preparation for her PhD in Practice Based Research. She loves to travel and to immerse herself in different cultures.
Art Qualification & Training
• B Tech in Fine Art at Tshwane University of Technology, Pretoria, South Africa.
• BA degree in Fine Arts at the University of Pretoria
• Master of Arts at the University of Pretoria
Artist Research Residencies:
• August 2015: Transart Institute, 3-week Summer Intensive: Ufer Studios, Berlin, Germany.
• August 2017: Transart Institute, 3-week Summer Intensive: Ufer Studios, Berlin., Germany.
• January 2018: Transart Institute, 3-week Winter Residency: Soma, Mexico City.