Hi there, welcome to our community. Please subscribe to our monthly newsletter if you want to stay up to date with our latest additions, get invited to events, get lots of inspiration, and get a 10% DISCOUNT on your first purchase!
Linda Opperman has been an artist for as long as she can remember. Even as a child she sought out solitude where she could lose herself in her fantasy world and draw. She is a nature lover, enjoys walks on the beach, and a passionate advocate for animals. She lives in a historical house in the beautiful Karoo, that was built by her grandfather and shares it with her loveable three rescue dogs.
I do art because I cannot NOT do it. I am mainly influenced by the Impressionists – colours, techniques… broad brushstrokes, use of light , subject matter. My favourite quote is by Edgar Degas…’ A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness and fantasy…. when you always make your meaning perfectly plain, you end up boring people. During the 1980/90’s I worked as a graphic designer at the University of Port Elizabeth as well as e-Quip Consultants in Pretoria.
I started painting and doing art freelance in 2000 with the following highlights:
* 2 Commissions for the Boardwalk Casino in Port Elizabeth
* Corporate gifts for the OICA International Conference: wildlife paintings on ostrich eggshells
* Nominee for Arch of Europe Award – Quality and Technology, Gold Class for the above
* Winner of De Kat creative writing competition with a 3-D entry
* Finalist in Carrol Boyes Functional Metal Art Competition
* Bovidian Gallery Exhibitions – Bloemfontein – 2003-2005
* Exhibition at Cuyler Street – Gallery in Port Elizabeth
* Grahamstown Festival in 2011 and 2012.
* Murals for local community clinic.
ART QUALIFICATION & TRAINING
1976 – National Diploma in Art and Design at the then Port Elizabeth Technikon.
I regularly attend workshops by Coen Pretorius and Sonnette Ölls.